Be an informed voter—stay informed with independent media sources.
What's an "independent media source"?
- One that's not owned by a corporate conglomerate (such as Washington Post, New York Times, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox News) AND
- Funded by individual donations and subscribers, not by for-profit corporations AND
- Dedicated to telling the truth by reporting facts, regardless of a political agenda
Trustworthy and factual information is available on-line from these independent media sources.
- TYT—The largest online news show in the world. Hosted by Cenk Uygur & Ana Kasparian. Cenk Uygur is the founder of TYT, Wolf-PAC and co-founder of the Justice Democrats.
- Democracy Now!—Democracy Now! is an independent, global weekday news hour anchored by award-winning journalists Amy Goodman and Juan González. The show is broadcast on nearly 1,400 TV, radio and Internet stations.
- The Real News Network—The Real News Network (TRNN) produces independent, verifiable, fact-based journalism that engages ordinary people in solving the critical problems of our times.
- The Intercept—an investigative nonprofit news organization dedicated to producing fearless, adversarial journalism. We believe journalism should bring transparency and accountability to powerful governmental and corporate institutions.
- C-Span, C-Span2, C-Span3—C-SPAN programs three public affairs television networks covering Capitol Hill, the White House and national politics. C-SPAN is a private, non-profit public service.
- Truthout—a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to providing independent news and commentary on a daily basis. Truthout works to spark action by revealing systemic injustice and providing a platform for transformative ideas, through in-depth investigative reporting and critical analysis. With a powerful, independent voice, we will spur the revolution in consciousness and inspire the direct action that is necessary to save the planet and humanity.
- Alternet—AlterNet is an award-winning news magazine and online community that creates original journalism and amplifies the best of hundreds of other independent media sources. AlterNet’s aim is to inspire action and advocacy on the environment, human rights and civil liberties, social justice, media, health care issues, and more. Since its inception in 1998, AlterNet.org has grown dramatically to keep pace with the public demand for independent news. We provide free online content to millions of readers, serving as a reliable filter, keeping our vast audience well-informed and engaged, helping them to navigate a culture of information overload and providing an alternative to the commercial media onslaught.
- The Guardian—covering American and international news for an online, global audience. Guardian US is renowned for the Paradise Papers investigation and other award-winning work including, the NSA revelations, Panama Papers and The Counted investigations.
- The Atlantic—since 1857, The Atlantic has been challenging assumptions and pursuing truth. We know great storytelling is part of great journalism. But honest reporting and analysis, and the integrity they represent, are what matter most to us, even if their pursuit requires giving up on an alluring narrative.
- Secular Talk—Home of news & politics commentary from the libertarian-left; populist; social democratic; agnostic-atheist perspective.
- The Humanist Report—disseminates sociopolitical and religious news stories that is supplemented with progressive commentary.
- Vox—helps you cut through the noise and understand what's driving events in the headlines and in our lives.
Disinformation is false information deliberately and often covertly spread (as by the planting of rumors) in order to influence public opinion or obscure the truth. (Merriam-Webster)
Primary sources of information are the best defense against disinformation. And it’s true: Informing oneself from primary sources requires more time and effort than a quick listen to sound-bite news summaries.
Why is it worth it? Because, rather than pundits’ opinions, you get the facts—and can take well-informed action.